CURATING A SUSTAINABLE CAPSULE WARDROBE
Back to school is the perfect time to refresh and organize your little one's wardrobe. A capsule wardrobe is a mindfully selected collection of clothing that is easy and fun to mix and match, creating multiple outfit combinations.
Crafting a capsule wardrobe pares back your child’s wardrobe making it easy for them to select their own outfits, utilizing pieces that are functional and stylish that they will love wearing.
The fashion industry produces 10% of all humanity’s carbon emissions and is the second largest consumer of the world’s water supply. What’s more, over 85% of all textiles get dumped each year.
By mindfully purchasing from ethical brands we can all contribute to reducing textile waste, ensuring farmers and garment workers are receiving fair wages and working conditions and reducing our carbon footprint.
Our top tips for curating a conscious ‘Back to School’ Capsule Wardrobe:
- Do an audit on what pieces are already in your child’s closet and compose a list of what items are actually needed.
- Select pieces made of natural fibres and non-toxic materials with the mantra of ‘quality over quantity. These items will wear and wash well and will be comfortable and breathable.
- Take a little time to plan entire outfits and figure out what pieces can be combined before purchasing.
- If you have little ones close in age consider unisex pieces that can be handed down to younger siblings.
- Select pieces that can easily be layered for all year round wear.
- Choose a colour palate. 2 or 3 of your child’s favourite colours that can be easily combined with denim, white and grey.
- Donate any clothes that are too small or no longer used.
- Get your child involved so they look forward to choosing outfits and value their clothes.